Thursday, June 21, 2007

Well, currently in Sihanoukville, Cambodia. A beach-type atmosphere I didn't quite expect in Cambodia. Just to catch you up, an excerpt from my journal June 19, "Today, I sit aboard a public bus to Phnom Penh. The aroma of rubbish fills my nose and permeates my pores. It makes me feel ill. Outside, small houses on stilts, shacks really. Something we might use to put our garden tools in. And everywhere, garbage. My roommate, Sarah, poor thing, has succumb to the dreaded and unforgiving travellers diarrhea. She and I have been up all night. When we stop at the bus depot, Cambodian children bombard us at the door, "you want buy pineapple?" They follow you as you make your way to the everpresent squat toilets. Forget the pineapple though, there are also freshly grilled crickets and tarantulas (I ate a leg, couldn't do the body though), not to mention the deep-fried frog stuffed with crickets . . . oh the delights. Not good for the already present nausea. The bus trip continues, my life in the hands of the bus driver that passes rather precariously and dangerously close to oncoming traffic.

In the evening we arrive at our homestay in Takeo, Cambodia, a rural area outside Phnom Penh. Our dinner was absolutely amazing fresh spring rolls, BBQ pork, sauteed morning glory and chicken soup. Wasn't particularly fond of having my vegetables washed with pond water, but can't really complain. Makes me yearn for the comforts of home. Our rooms are mini saunas; stagnant air combined with sweat, no showers and a squat toilet. I came to Cambodia why?"

Things are now looking up though. Sihanoukville is quite nice. Had some beefed up cockroaches on steroids in our bathroom, Sarah calls it "the cockarazzi". All very exciting. Spent yesterday on the beach and took a boat trip out to a few islands to spend more time in the sun. The water is like a bathtub in some parts, hardly relief from the heat. Have I mentioned yet that there are dogs everywhere?! I'm not sure any of them even have owners? Tomorrow, we head for one more day on the beach. Then, we're off to Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam. Looking forward to a change of scenery.

Sorry, no pics this time. Will update when I'm at a faster computer. It's painful waiting for pages to upload!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home